Senior Backend Developer
Drover is a VC-backed, growth-stage marketplace company offering monthly, all-in car subscriptions to customers who want to experience car ownership as it should be: digital, flexible and at a fair, transparent price. For some more detail, check out our press coverage in TechCrunch, Forbes or CityAM.
We want to build ever more extraordinary digital experiences for our users and we need your help: come on board and join our 20-strong engineering team spread across London and Lisbon busy changing the automotive landscape.
Our Engineering Team & Culture
How we work
We thought you may be curious about our ways of working:
- We work in cross-functional product teams with bi-weekly sprints.
- We release continually with multiple production deployments a day.
- You can expect to work on a wide variety of technical solutions from user-facing applications to internal tools.
- We take pride in the code we ship and aim to do all the right things (testing, code reviews, “leave it better than you found it”, etc) but we take a pragmatic approach
- While we love having the team in the office because it facilitates the sharing of ideas and insights, you can WFH if you prefer.
Some of the technologies we use
Where we want to go
We are working to split out our Rails application into microservices on AWS, utilising services such as SQS, SNS, Fargate, Elasticache and Lambdas while maintaining a strong focus on the scalability, performance and security of the system.
How we interview
Our tech hiring process is simple and fast. It starts with a phone call where we learn about each other, followed by a take-home coding challenge in Ruby on Rails or React (if you are a full-stack developer you can choose which test makes makes more sense). If you do well, we will invite you to meet us in person. Your interview will be centred around a follow-on discussion of your test and we’ll also look for evidence of strong communication and team skills. We promise no brain teasers! You’ll meet ~4 people incl. engineering leaders, fellow individual contributors and product managers. We will aim to get back to you the day or two after your interview with a final answer.
Our Company Culture
When you ask a Droverian what they love most about working here, their answer will likely be “the people.” We are very proud of the amazing team we have assembled across London and Lisbon. The following should give you an idea about what kind of internal culture you’d be joining:
- We encourage proactivity and taking ownership of problems. We hate micromanagement. Instead, we let you set your own agenda and give you the space to learn and grow even if it means making a few mistakes along the way.
- We support each other through thick and thin. If you are struggling, you can always count on the team to help you get unstuck.
- We cherish feedback, whether praise or constructive criticism. There is no other way to learn!
- Ideas are judged on merit rather than source. You can have tremendous impact no matter your role.
- Know nothing about cars? Don’t fret it. Being a petrolhead is by no means a must-have to succeed here.
- Solid software development experience, ideally with the technologies and services we utilise
- Experience with microservices and AWS cloud services
- Substantial experience in an object-oriented programming language and web development
- Proven experience of automated testing and TDD
- Effective communicator and strong team-working skills
- Entrepreneurial working style: comfortable with ambiguity and constant change
- A desire to change mobility for good
- A competitive salary and discretionary stock options
- The chance to learn from a world-class team that includes serial entrepreneurs and alumni from some of the world’s best schools (Oxbridge, LSE, Chicago, Warwick, WHU) and most exciting companies (Google, Uber, Lyft, Blablacar, Gett, WeWork, EY, Goldman Sachs)
- Fancy equipment (your choice of Mac or PC)
- 25 days’ holiday plus all public holidays
- Private health insurance and subsidised gym membership
- Swanky startup office in a beautiful part of Lisbon here
- Free snacks and breakfast every day
- Catered lunch and office happy hour on Fridays
- Regular socials and team retreats (think trips to London, bowling, surfing, escape rooms…)