Head of Insurance & Risk
Drover is a VC-backed marketplace company offering monthly, all-in car subscriptions to customers who want to experience car ownership as it should be: flexible and at a fair, transparent price. Our mission is to establish car subscription as the defining industry category of our time with Drover as the undisputed pioneer. For some more detail, check out our press coverage in TechCrunch and Forbes.
As our Head of Risk & Insurance you will take complete ownership of both our Insurance product, which we have built in partnership with Munich RE, one of the world’s largest insurance underwriters Munich RE, as well as our credit and affordability assessment processes.
Specifically, you will:
- Own insurance from a product perspective, making the necessary changes and improvements required to meet Drover’s wider business needs
- Monitor and refine the performance of the insurance book, looking for ways to refine the underwriting processes as well as minimise claims costs
- Optimise our acceptance criteria and processes, ensuring that we are accepting the right customers for Drover
- Own the relationship with our insurance partners MunichRe, building the relationship and continuing to work on new products in partnership with them
- Complete ad-hoc analysis to inform pricing decision making, as well undertake monthly insurance performance reporting
- Manage our compliance monitoring plan and ensure that we meet all regulatory and contractual obligations for insurance and regulated activities
- Lead and coach the growing risk and insurance team
- Bachelor’s Degree from a top uni required, MBA a plus
- 5+ years of professional experience which should ideally include a combination of
- (i) experience at an insurance company and/or
- (ii) a fintech company with an insurance angle
- An analytical mindset evidenced by a solid command of Excel and a track record of data-driven decision making
- The demonstrated ability to define, analyse, challenge and be challenged on KPIs
- The rare mix of exceptional attention to detail and the ability to see the bigger picture
- The ability to influence stakeholders throughout the organisation: you’ll have to convince your peers to follow risk-driven policies so we remain compliant across the board
- The sort of personality who thrives in an atmosphere of ambiguity and quickly changing priorities
- Experience in motor insurance either from underwriting or claims perspective a plus
- Experience in launching/owning insurance products a plus
- Experience in working with SQL a plus
When you ask a Droverian what they love most about working here, their answer will likely be “the people” We are very proud of the amazing team we have assembled across London and Lisbon. The following should give you an idea about what kind of internal culture you’d be joining:
- We encourage proactivity and taking ownership of problems. We hate micromanagement. Instead, we let you set your own agenda and give you the space to learn and grow even if it means making a few mistakes along the way.
- We support each other through thick and thin. If you are struggling, you can always count on the team to help you get unstuck.
- We cherish feedback, whether praise or constructive criticism. There is no other way to learn!
- Ideas are judged on merit rather than source. You can have tremendous impact no matter your role.
- Know nothing about cars? Don’t fret it. Being a petrolhead is by no means a must-have to succeed here.
- A competitive salary and discretionary stock options
- The chance to learn from a world-class team that includes serial entrepreneurs and alumni from some of the world’s best schools (Oxbridge, LSE, Chicago, Warwick, WHU) and most exciting companies (Google, Uber, Lyft, Blablacar, Gett, WeWork, EY, Goldman Sachs)
- Fancy equipment (your choice of Mac or PC)
- 22 days’ holiday plus all bank holidays
- Pension & cycle-to-work scheme
- Perkbox: free phone insurance, cheap cinema tickets and many other retail discounts
- Swanky startup office in Hoxton overlooking Regent's Canal
- Free fruit and coffee all day every day plus free breakfast every day
- Catered lunch and office happy hour on Fridays
- Regular socials and team retreats to exciting European destinations (Budapest and Lisbon down, where next...?)