VP Engineering / Engineering Manager
Drover is a VC-backed marketplace company offering monthly, all-in car subscriptions to customers who want to experience car ownership as it should be: flexible and at a fair, transparent price. Our mission is to establish car subscription as the defining industry category of our time with Drover as the undisputed pioneer. For some more detail, check out our press coverage in TechCrunch and Forbes.
We are looking for a VP Engineering / Engineering Manager (depending on seniority) to lead and mentor (a subset of) our engineering team spread across Lisbon and London. Reporting to the CTO, you will be the most senior people leader in our Tech org with the following responsibilities:
- You’ll coach our engineers on a daily basis, always sharing useful, timely feedback
- You’ll mentor each developer to determine the best way to reach their professional goals
- You’ll help unblock productivity or communication issues
- You’ll take ownership of tech hiring including interviewing, training and onboarding new engineers
- You’ll help raise Drover’s profile in the tech community through events, hackathons
At the end of your first 6 months at Drover, success would mean the following:
- Drafted a career growth framework for our Engineering team, with competencies for each level
- Acquired a strong understanding of each of your direct reports’ competencies, career goals and the steps needed to get them to the next level
- Hired 4 high-calibre engineers
- Hosted 2 community events with 50+ attendees
- Multiple years of software development experience which has helped you acquire technical depth that earns the respect of senior developers
- Experience managing a high-performing team of engineers and a passion for world-class people leadership
- Entrepreneurial working style: you’re excited to set your own agenda and run your own show
- Comfortable with constantly changing priorities: you don’t get upset over moving parts
When you ask a Droverian what they love most about working here, their answer will likely be “the people” We are very proud of the amazing team we have assembled across London and Lisbon. The following should give you an idea about what kind of internal culture you’d be joining:
- We encourage proactivity and taking ownership of problems. We hate micromanagement. Instead, we let you set your own agenda and give you the space to learn and grow even if it means making a few mistakes along the way.
- We support each other through thick and thin. If you are struggling, you can always count on the team to help you get unstuck.
- We cherish feedback, whether praise or constructive criticism. There is no other way to learn!
- Ideas are judged on merit rather than source. You can have tremendous impact no matter your role.
- Know nothing about cars? Don’t fret it. Being a petrolhead is by no means a must-have to succeed here.
- A competitive salary and discretionary stock options
- The chance to learn from a world-class team that includes serial entrepreneurs and alumni from some of the world’s best schools (Oxbridge, LSE, Chicago, Warwick, WHU) and most exciting companies (Google, Uber, Lyft, Blablacar, Gett, WeWork, EY, Goldman Sachs)
- Fancy equipment (your choice of Mac or PC)
- 22 days’ holiday plus all bank holidays
- Pension & cycle-to-work scheme
- Perkbox: free phone insurance, cheap cinema tickets and many other retail discounts
- Swanky startup office in Hoxton overlooking Regent's Canal
- Free fruit and coffee all day every day plus free breakfast every day
- Catered lunch and office happy hour on Fridays
- Regular socials and team retreats to exciting European destinations (Budapest and Lisbon down, where next...?)