Lead Frontend Developer
Drover is a VC-backed, growth-stage marketplace company offering monthly, all-in car subscriptions to customers who want to experience car ownership as it should be: digital, flexible and at a fair, transparent price. For some more detail, check out our press coverage in TechCrunch, Forbes or CityAM.
We want to build extraordinary digital experiences for our users and we need your help: come on board and join our 20-strong engineering team spread across London and Lisbon determined to change the automotive landscape.
Our Engineering Team & Culture
How we work
We thought you may be curious about our ways of working:
- We work in cross-functional product teams with bi-weekly sprints.
- We release continually with multiple production deployments a day.
- You can expect to work on a wide variety of technical solutions from user-facing applications to internal tools.
- We take pride in the code we ship and aim to do all the right things (testing, code reviews, “leave it better than you found it”, etc) but we take a pragmatic approach
- While we love having the team in the office because it facilitates the sharing of ideas and insights, you can work from home some days if you prefer.
Some of the technologies we use:
Where we want to go:
We want to build a robust frontend architecture with a focus on performance and flexibility. We are exploring various ways to gather and report on user experience in an effort to drive product features within each team.
How we interview
Our tech hiring process is simple and fast. It starts with a phone call where we learn about each other, followed by a take-home challenge. If you do well, we will invite you to meet us in person. Your interview will be centred around a follow-on discussion of your test and we’ll also look for evidence of strong communication and team skills. We promise no brain teasers! You’ll meet ~4 people incl. engineering leaders, fellow individual contributors and product managers. We will aim to get back to you the day or two after your interview with a final answer.
Our Company Culture
When you ask a Droverian what they love most about working here, their answer will likely be “the people.” We are very proud of the amazing team we have assembled across London and Lisbon. The following should give you an idea about what kind of internal culture you’d be joining:
- We encourage proactivity and taking ownership of problems. We hate micromanagement. Instead, we let you set your own agenda and give you the space to learn and grow even if it means making a few mistakes along the way.
- We support each other through thick and thin. If you are struggling, you can always count on the team to help you get unstuck.
- We cherish feedback, whether praise or constructive criticism. There is no other way to learn!
- Ideas are judged on merit rather than source. You can have tremendous impact no matter your role.
- Know nothing about cars? Don’t fret it. Being a petrolhead is by no means a must-have to succeed here.
We are looking for a seasoned Lead Frontend Developer to take charge of our Frontend web applications. You will be responsible for ensuring that our choices of architecture and frameworks offer great performance and that we keep a fast, modern, and fun coding environment for our developers.
We believe that developers should be building products that users love, guiding and mentoring others, and adaptable to change.
- The chance to learn from a world-class team that includes serial entrepreneurs and alumni from some of the world’s best schools (Oxbridge, LSE, Chicago, Warwick, WHU) and most exciting companies (Google, Facebook, Uber, Lyft, Blablacar, Uniplaces, WeWork, Goldman Sachs)
- 25 days’ holiday plus all public holidays
- Private health insurance and subsidised gym membership
- Swanky startup office near Avenida
- Free snacks and breakfast every day
- Catered lunch and office happy hour on Fridays
- Regular, all-expenses paid travel to London
- Monthly socials (darts, bubble football, volunteering with puppies) and team retreats (Budapest down, where next…?)